Let’s say that you’ve gotten tired of all the clutter and messiness around your home and have decided that it’s time to look into a self-storage facility. If this is your first time renting in a storage facility, you’ll probably have a few questions. One of these questions is whether you need to sign a long-term lease or simply rent your storage unit month-to-month.
Signing a Long-term Lease
There are a variety of factors that you should take into consideration when answering this question. Here are a few of them:
- Will you be needing the storage facility for a short period of time or is this a long-term solution?
- Does the storage facility offer discounts or promotions for signing a lease, such as the second month free?
- If this is a long-term solution, can you set up an auto-draft from your bank account so that you never have to worry about missing a payment if you sign a lease?
- Are you going overseas or out of the area and need a secure location for your belongings so that you don’t have to worry about them for the foreseeable future?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, then signing a long-term lease may be beneficial for your needs even if the storage facility you are looking into doesn’t require one.
What to Look for in a Storage Facility
Whether you decide to sign a long-term lease or just rent a storage unit from month-to-month, there are many amenities that you should consider before signing your name on the dotted line.
- Does this facility offer climate controlled units for items that are sensitive to temperature?
- How accessible will your unit be? Can you access your belongings any day or holiday, or are the hours and days restricted?
- How safe is this storage facility? Do they have video monitoring? Is there a person on site at all times or a person monitoring the surveillance?
- What size units are available? Does the storage facility offer you the right size unit for your belongings?
- Are the prices affordable? What does the facility offer in terms of contracts?
- Is the facility running any specials that would benefit you as a customer?
- What is the customer feedback at this storage facility?
- Is the facility well-lit and fenced in?
While these are the main things that you want to look into at a storage facility, nothing beats going to a storage facility and touring the grounds. Look at this storage facility as the new home for your heirlooms, records, and other important items.
Do not forget that while a storage facility is a great place to store your extra clutter, there are many other uses for a storage unit as well.
- You can set up an extra office in a storage unit and have plenty of room for all of the paperwork that might be overflowing your home.
- If you have ever wanted the extra space for an art studio, a storage unit gives you an affordable option.
- You can store boats, RVs, ATVs, and cars at storage facilities.
- In a climate controlled unit, you can set up the wine cellar that you never had room for at your home.
The common thread in these uses is that they are all long-term suggestions. If you are considering any of these items, you may want to consider the benefit of signing a long-term lease versus a month-to-month agreement.Regardless of how long you want to lease a storage unit, the helpful personnel at Markham Self Storage in Jackson, Tennessee are here to help. Contact us today with any questions or for a tour of the facility.