The upside of moving is that it forces you to clean out the house by getting rid of stuff you no longer use or need. If you move a lot, you’ll find that you tend not to collect things unnecessary items. It’s cheaper and easier if there’s less to pack and load onto a moving truck.
Before moving, it’s a good idea to sort through your things so you don’t end up moving stuff you don’t need or have never used. Not only will it save you time in packing and unpacking, but it will also save you money. The more stuff you have to move, the more expensive moving will be.
Sorting through your stuff and deciding what to pack and what to get rid of is never easy. You might find yourself moving stuff just because you can’t decide whether you need it or not. While this is a huge task and may seem overwhelming, there are some key questions you can ask yourself in order to decide what should stay and what should go.
What to Give Away
- Clean out your clothing closets. It’s time to throw open that door and unveil exactly what you’ve been keeping in your closet. You may feel overwhelmed, but this is a great time to sort through and get rid of any clothing that it is too small, too large, not your style any more, has not been worn in more than a year, or generally will not be of use to you.
- Extra kitchen appliances. Nobody needs two toasters or three hand mixers. These simply take up space and will mean more packing. But they will mean a lot to the centers you donate them to. Just make sure they are clean and in good working order.
- Unused electronics and cords. Do you have alarm clocks that have been collecting dust, or radios from forty years ago? Donate them and let someone else get good use out of them. Extra cords to electronics also come in handy because people look for replacement cords at donation centers. Your cords could be just what they are looking for.
What to Sell
Garage sales are a great way to get rid of stuff you don’t want or need. It’s also an ideal way to lighten your move and make some money at the same time, money that can be used to haul the rest of your stuff to your new home. Some easy items to sell at a yard sale are:
- Gently used clothes
- Small appliances
- Seasonal items
- Children’s toys
What to Store
When you have items in your home that you don’t use now but you may be able to use in the future, it’s time to consider an affordable storage unit. Why buy an item again when you have already purchased it in the past? With the safety features at self-storage facilities, your belongings are safe for as long as you need to keep them there. With the convenience of a storage unit near your home, you can visit your storage space anytime to grab or add anything. It’s like having an extra room in your home.
Some things you may want to consider placing in storage:
- Seasonal clothing
- Seasonal décor
- Extra paperwork such as yearly taxes
- Seasonal yard equipment (lawn chairs, lawn mowers, etc.)
- Family heirlooms for safe keeping
- Extra furniture not in use
By finding homes for your unworn clothing, clunky furniture, and out-of-date electronics, your upcoming move will be a much smoother experience. Plus, there’s nothing like a fresh start in a new home without college futons and unused appliances to weigh you down. Some items, though, will need to be stored. Whether it’s a sentimental item or a valuable furnishing, not everything can be disposed of so easily. In the Jackson, Tennessee area and are looking for self storage facilities, contact Markham Self Storage for a variety of storage solutions.